In America, when a new president is elected and takes office a plan is put forward as prepartions are made in anticipation of big changes at the White House. Consequently, normal practice is for the president-elect to announce a plan of what his (or her) first 100 days in office will look like. What is the plan for action? In the same token, we are less than 2 weeks from our family arriving in Porto Alegre and would like to give our action plan as well.
1. On November 26th -> We left Phoenix on a big airplane (as Levi called it), and arrived in Sao Paulo, Brazil - the Saturday after Thanksgiving. (The trip went extremely well. You can read more about it in the post below.)
2. We have spent 5 weeks with Carol's family, and will conclude our time spending the Christmas and New Years holidays here. During this time Carol and I have visited Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, in southern Brazil. This is the city we will move to permanently. We looked for an house (and found one), a school for the kids, and we visited with those we know there to share our vision for future ministry. I have also used this time to brush up on my portuguese. I can definitely get by, but it needs to be refined.
3. This Thursday (December 29th), I will drive down to Porto Alegre from Santos. It is approximately a 12 hour drive. I will buy appliances for our rental home and get all the utilites turned on and in order before Carol and the kids fly down on Friday, January 6th. The school year starts mid-February and runs through December with a winter break in July. We are super excited to start life in Porto Alegre.
4. Feb/March 2017 -> We look to start informal weekly Bible studies in the city and will start to gauge interest in where exactly we will look to re-plant a church in the city specifically. Our plan is for John to teach a single bible study several times a week in homes in and around Porto Alegre for throughout 2017 - in addition to special times of devtionals, prayer and worship.
5. Late 2017 -> We look for seeds to start to grow and develop with a growing church body and to rent a meeting place to have church services. (Our hope is that as we pray and study the bible in various points of the city - we will be able to consildate various bible studies into a larger group by years end in 2017) and formally launch the church by the end of 2017.
6. 2018 and beyond -> The vision grows. We look to have a healthy church body seeking to mature in Christ. Serving the community at large by focusing on the work of Christ. Including, serving the city through a host of outreach minsitries. Some of which we have done before (orphanges and street evangelism) and others (a school of ministry, etc.).